Sunday 24 January 2016

QUEEN VICTORIA'S SWEET POTATO MACAROONS

by: MisS VictoriA DaviD

 

Every time I go to the Supermarket to refill the stocks in the cupboards, I always find something enticing yet unusual to buy. The last time I was looking at the vegetable and fruit aisle, a large-sized sweet potato caught my eyes. That moment brought me back to my childhood years when my late father would usually boil a bunch of sweet potatoes which served as our merienda (a light meal). We commonly complement it either with a pitcher of juice or a litre of soft drink. I have to say that it was a nice warm touch reminiscing the past and because of it, I brought back home a large-sized potato.

Days passed and the potato just sat in the fridge waiting to be used. I had thought of frying or just boiling it a few times but it always slipped my mind. That's why yesterday, I placed it on top of the ceramic hob as a good reminder to use it.

Ingredients:
  • a large-sized sweet potato
  • 1 cup of grated cheese
  • 1 large-sized beaten egg
  • 1 tsp. of white sugar or honey (optional)

Baking Procedure:
  1. Peel off the potato and make sure it's clean before grating. Then, place the grated sweet potato in a mixing bowl.
  2. Add the grated cheese in the bowl and mix the two ingredients together.
  3. Once combined, add the egg and the sugar as the last ingredients. Mix all until well combined.
  4. Set it aside and preheat the oven to 170/C/325F/Gas 5.
  5. While heating the oven, grease the baking tray (I used Yorkshire Pudding Tray) with margarine.
  6. After that, distribute evenly the mixture using a spoon into the baking tray. If necessary, use a spoon to smooth the edges and the above surfaces of each macaroon.
  7. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 15- 20 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
  8. Remove from the oven and leave the macaroons to cool before serving either with creamy yoghurt or whipped cream.
(Served with Greek creamy yoghurt)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger