Friday 8 January 2016

THE VINTAGE BRASS WALL CLOCK

by: MisS VictoriA DaviD


A crashing sound woke me up in my bed. I got up and found pieces of glass were all over the wooden floor. This was the scenario when the clock accidentally dropped itself in the kitchen- months back.

It fell in a flash and hit the floor like a thud of thunder; the square glass frame shattered into teeny weeny pieces. They were all scattered on the floor and resembled octahedron natural uncut diamond crystals. Wish they were really diamonds as they would buy more than its replacement. Sadly, the aftermath was that I found it difficult to find another clock that was to my liking.

Although the frame was entirely wrecked, I was left with a functioning machine. Honestly, what was left had a stylish and incredibly enticing appearance to my eyes. That is why I decided to display it on the wall while waiting for a replacement. The ruined clock was purchased at IKEA and the last time I was there, they still had it on display. However I was very reluctant to buy one of a similar ilk as I wanted to posses something extraordinary and bewitching. And I didn’t fail to find one in the end!

It took me months before I finally found a clock that delighted my finicky taste.

I was heading back home on a cold and wet evening when I saw this brass metal clock in the window of a vintage shop. Despite the evening gloom it caught my eyes. It grabbed my attention, like when you accidentally meet the soul mate of your life in an unexpected place. That was my reaction!

I went inside the shop and asked the owner to hand over the only machine on display. When I had it in my hands I knew my intuition was right, it was made from brass. I was so delighted and said to the owner, 'this is the clock I have been searching for the past weeks. It caught my attention while I was walking outside your shop'.

The brass clock was working properly and in perfect condition, so I snapped it up and brought it back home with me. 

It is a round 'ship's clock' which is akin to the pricey newgate ocean wall clock on the internet and in stores. It has roman numerals and more importantly, has a traditional sailing- themed look. Would you agree? Apart from those, the size is perfect as its spear like hands are big enough to read from afar. Personally speaking, it is a handsome and a real gem of a timepiece. More importantly, the brass metal adds a note of class and a brilliant way of aligning home décor with the current cream coloured kitchen.

My long search is now over and indeed, it adds a vintage or metallic accent to a home sweet home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger