Tuesday 4 July 2017

BROMELIACEA VRIESEA: THE YELLOW FLOWER SPIKES



I certainly can't resist lovely brilliant colours and have to admit, my obsession has magnetises me to collect and raise a few colourful indoor flowering plants. 

Four months ago, we bought another genera of bromeliads which instantly became a member of my indoor plant collections. For the past months, the gradual growth in numbers of my accumulated, refreshing to the senses, flowers have been producing pups and yielding blossoms. Ineffably, a chink of them everyday has given me a flourishing festoon of radiant felicity. They have been fascinating me in a more personal way, too. Especially when I see them growing healthily and they surprise me with idyllic flowers as well as endow me with delicate pups/offsets. Generally speaking, they add a shining presents to our humble abode and habituate us with more delightful inspirations in life. 

I don't just purchase impulsively as I have to think about where to place the plant as well... 

I already have 2 different genera of bromeliads (Guzmania Lingulata and Tillandsia Cyanea) but was still very eager to have one more. That is why, I searched on the web for another type of bromeliad which can survive with less direct sunlight, less water consumption and less attention. When I say “less attention”, a flowering plant which will need less artificial nutrients but has the natural ability to derive its own nutrients. In my opinion, plants are not just manufactured decorative ornaments nor accessories to compliment one's basic outfit as they are like us, human beings, too. In particular, they are living beings which unwittingly teach us lessons of equal importance as they also grow, eat, move and reproduce. Universally speaking, it is what we called the ecological systems' balance of nature. 

Most of my indoor plants are placed on our sunroom window sill. The board sufficiently accommodates large pots while the glass windows offer the gloriousness of sunshine and opening/closing them permits the fresh air to flow. I thought I wouldn't be able to flourish a plant with flowers into becoming a healthy one. However, my persistence and belief as a green-fingered lady got them to burst forth with some producing cute little pups/offsets. It was quite mesmerising especially when flying insects find their way in and basked from one flower to another. I have never thought that pollinating insects will be enticed to visit my indoor plants but it's a strong sign that the airflow inside is not distressing. Remember the role of domestic canary songbird used by miners? 

The last addition to my collection of bromeliads is called Bromeliacea Vriesea. It is an indoor plant throughout the world and has been natively cultivated in Central and South America. The elongated, broad and delicate leaves serve as a central water tank and offer a moat for its flamboyant flower spikes. It grows vertically tall with branches of flat, broad and long-lasting flower spikes in the shades of brilliant red, calming yellow and flashing orange. I am sure that you will also appreciate the beauty of its flower spikes when you intend to raise it in your own humble abode. Actually, this genera of bromeliad is easy to find and care for which will suit truly every plant lovers. 


The sunlight needs of Bromeliacea Vriesea has high tolerance for various light levels. It thrives in shaded areas and spaces with various bright indirect sunlight. As a matter of fact, placing and exposing it to a more direct sunlight will turn their foliage brighter in colour but will also scorch their leaves (it helps to moisten from time to time). On the other hand, its water needs is less but its tank must remain wet to avoid wilting. It is also necessary to flush its tank with fresh water every week to prevent insects biological development and metamorphosis. Typically speaking, misting the entire plant using a spray bottle will forestall the crown susceptibility to rotting. 

Raise one soon and who knows, in just a few months, you will see sprouting pups which are exact replicas of the mother plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger